Last Update 12:37
Thursday, 14 November 2019

Kuwait to bury victims of IS mosque bombing

AFP , Saturday 27 Jun 2015
Kuwait
People help carry injured victims to ambulances outside Imam al-Sadeq Mosque, after a suicide bomb attack, in Kuwait city June 26, 2015. (Photo:Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 970
Share/Bookmark
Views: 970

Kuwait is to hold a mass funeral on Saturday for 26 people killed in a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

The interior ministry said in a statement early Saturday that 26 people and the bomber were killed and 227 others wounded in one of the country's worst bombings and its first ever on a mosque.

The attack targeted Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque in the capital Kuwait City during Friday noon prayers.

The mosque authorities said in a statement that "Kuwait martyrs" will be laid to rest at the Shiite cemetery, west of the capital, at 4:00 pm (1300 GMT).

It said that condolences would be accepted for three days starting on Saturday at the Grand Mosque, the largest place of worship for Sunni Muslims, in a show of solidarity.

Kuwait's emir, the government, parliament and political groups and clerics have said the attack was aimed at stirring sectarian strife in the emirate.

Sunni religious and political groups were quick to condemn the attack carried out by the Islamic State, a radical Sunni group which considers Shiites to be heretics.

Shiites form a third of Kuwait's 1.3 million native population.

The interior ministry has said an unspecified number of suspects were held for questioning in connection with the attack that shocked the small oil-rich Gulf state. No details were provided.

The cabinet announced after an emergency meeting Friday that all security agencies and police had been placed on alert to confront what it called "black terror".

It also declared Saturday a day of mourning.

Shiite activist Abdulwahed Khalfan told AFP that security at Shiite mosques was beefed up and citizens' committees have been formed.

The IS-affiliated group in Saudi Arabia, calling itself Najd Province, said militant Abu Suleiman al-Muwahhid bombed the mosque, which it claimed was spreading Shiite teachings among Sunni Muslims.

The emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, who immediately visited the site of the bombing, said that the "criminal attack is a desperate and evil attempt targeting Kuwait's national unity".

Several countries and organisations including the United Nations, the United States and others deplored the bombing.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.