Last Update 2:2
Wednesday, 19 June 2019

Yemen rebel chief says ready for political settlement

AFP , Monday 3 Aug 2015
Yemen
File Photo: Followers of the Shia Houthi group watch a televised speech by the group's leader Abdulmalik al-Houthi in Sanaa on October 12, 2014. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 971
Share/Bookmark
Views: 971

The leader of Yemen's Iran-backed rebels said a political settlement with the exiled government was still possible after what he called the "short-term" setback of their ouster from second city Aden.

Abdulmalik al-Houthi said the rebels would welcome a new attempt by a third party to broker a deal after the failure of UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva in June.

"A political settlement is still possible," Houthi said in a speech broadcast by the rebels' Al-Masira television channel late on Sunday.

"We would welcome any (mediation) effort by a neutral party -- Arab or international," he said.

Houthi played down the withdrawal of the rebels and their allies from Aden in mid-July after four months of ferocious fighting.

"The advance made by the enemy in Aden will collapse," he said.

"It is a short-term situation which we will overcome despite all the money of Saudi Arabia."

Yemen's oil-rich neighbour has led an air campaign against the rebels since March and has also trained and equipped ground forces that were instrumental in securing Aden.

It was the rebels' entry into the southern port that forced President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi and his internationally recognised government into Saudi exile in March.

Riyadh has justified its military intervention against the rebels and their allies, saying that they posed a threat to the kingdom's security.

But Houthi said that after more than four months of devastating bombing, the threat was the other way round.

"With the crimes that you are committing you pose a danger to Yemen," he said.

"To guarantee your security, you have to be a good neighbour."

The rebels have fired mortars, rockets and even Scud missiles across the border but say that they only did so in response to the Saudi-led air war.

A Saudi civilian was killed on Sunday but the majority of the 49 deaths so far have been soldiers.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Hazimi
03-08-2015 07:13pm
1-
0+
this terrorist must be quit
This guy have back iran and united state support and he need a good lesson from sunnis and he will get very soon why usa do not striking on him? he is a enemy of real islam
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.