Last Update 23:48
Wednesday, 30 September 2020

Rare daytime NATO airstrikes hit Libyan capital

Attempts to oust Gaddafi are stepped up by the alliance NATO as Libyan television reports that his compound in the capital among the targets hit as China looks to step up its involvement in the conflict as a mediator

AP , Tuesday 7 Jun 2011
Libya daytime strikes
Libya daytime strikes
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2400
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2400

Low-flying NATO military craft pounded Tripoli on Tuesday, landing a series of 26 strikes that shook the Libyan capital in rare rare daytime raids designed to step up pressure on Muammar Gaddafi to leave power.

The daylong raids shook the ground and sent thundering sound waves across the capital. Some of the strikes were believed to have targeted a military barracks near Gaddafi's sprawling central Tripoli compound, said spokesman Moussa Ibrahim. Others hit the compound itself, Libyan television reported. Pro-Gaddafi loyalists in the capital fired weapons into the air but after the NATO strikes had ended.

A dark grey plume of smoke rose from the direction of the compound after one of the afternoon attacks. Ambulances, sirens blaring, could be heard in the distance.

NATO officials have warned for days that they were increasing the scope and intensity of their two-month campaign to oust Gaddafi after more than 40 years in power.

The alliance is assisting a four-month old rebel insurgency that has seized swaths of eastern Libya and pockets in the regime's stronghold in the west.

"Instead of talking to us, they are bombing us. They are going mad. They are losing their heads," said Ibrahim. The spokesman said the daylight strikes were particularly terrifying because families were separated during the day.

Libyan school children are taking final exams at the end of the school year.

"Tens of thousands of children are in Tripoli. You can imagine the shock and horror of the children. You can imagine the horror of parents who can't check on their children who are far away," Ibrahim said.

The strikes began at around 11:30am local time and continued through the day. Some landed in clusters of two and three booming explosions.

Ibarahim said the barracks likely hit Tuesday have been repeated targets of NATO. Libyan television later reported other strikes hit the sprawling compound itself. It gave few details. The compound hosts homes, guest houses, large grassy knolls and a camp ground where pro-Gadhafi loyalists sleep. The television said nearby homes were also damaged, along with some infrastructure.

NATO strikes before dawn Monday targeted a building of the state-run Libyan television station, he said, reporting that 16 people were injured. The building was only partially destroyed and Libyan television is still broadcasting.
As NATO intensifies air attacks on Tripoli, there appears to be renewed diplomatic efforts to find a peaceful end to the civil war.

A U.N. envoy was expected in the country Tuesday. Ibrahim would not say who envoy Abdul-Elah al-Khatib would meet, or how long he would stay.

So far diplomacy has failed, given that rebels are demanding Gaddafi leave power. The dictator steadfastly refuses to cede power.

Also Tuesday, Tripoli dispatched Foreign Minister Abdul-Ati al-Obeidi to Beijing for a three days of talks, an apparent effort to restore some of Libyan government influence and defuse a setback delivered by China last week. Chinese officials announced on Friday that they had reached out to the rebel forces challenging Gaddafi, a significant effort to boost Chinese engagement in the Libya conflict and possibly jostle for a mediator role.

Beijing had stayed on the sidelines for the first few months since the revolt against Gaddafi's government erupted in mid-February, pointedly avoiding joining international calls for Gaddafi to step down and saying that is for the Libyan people to decide. China also abstained in the U.N. Security Council vote authorizing the use of force against Libyan government loyalists and has repeatedly criticized the NATO bombing campaign in support of the rebels.

But last week, Beijing said the head of Libya's rebel council met with China's ambassador to Qatar in Doha, in what was the first known contact between the two sides.
China's decision to engage the rebels was a diplomatic setback for Gaddafi.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters at a regular briefing Tuesday that talks with al-Obeidi would focus on the need for a political solution to the Libyan crisis. He also reiterated China's appeals for an immediate cease-fire and called on all parties to "fully consider the mediation proposals put forward by the international community so as to defuse the tensions as soon as possible." In Benghazi on Tuesday, a Russian delegation met with the rebel's National Transitional Council which controls the city and Eastern Libya.

Special representative for Africa Mikhail Margelov said that Gaddafi had lost his legitimacy but that NATO airstrikes were not a solution to the stalemate in Libya.

"As long as bloodshed continues the more difficult it will be to build a national reconciliation process after the civil war," Margelov told reporters Tuesday.

Russia, along with China, abstained in the U.N. Security Council vote authorising the use of force against Libyan government loyalists and has repeatedly criticised the NATO bombing campaign in support of the rebels.

The revolt against Gaddafi followed popular uprisings that overturned the longtime rulers of Tunisia and Egypt. A coalition of rebels seized control of much of eastern Libya and set up an administration based in the eastern city of Benghazi. As the conflict escalated, it grew beyond an insurrection by a small group and has now evolved into a civil war. The rebels, led by the National Transitional Council, are well in control of nearly a third of the inhabitable part of Libya the country.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.