The United States on Sunday confirmed the release of two Americans who had been held hostage by Shiite Huthi rebels in Yemen for months, and said they had arrived in Oman.
National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said Washington was "deeply appreciative" of those who helped obtain the release of the two citizens, who were not identified in the statement.
Price specifically thanked the government of Oman, and said the US ambassador in Muscat had greeted the two citizens at the airport.
"We welcome the release of two US citizens who had been detained in Yemen since earlier this year," Price said in a statement. "These individuals departed Yemen today and have since arrived in Oman."
"This outcome underscores that we have been and will continue to be tireless in pursuing the release of all Americans detained abroad unjustly, including those who remain in the region," he said.
Price also called for an immediate resumption of UN-brokered peace talks aimed at putting a stop to the conflict in Yemen, saying: "It is clear that the people of Yemen want the fighting to end as soon as possible."
A rebel official and a security source in Yemen had said three Americans were released, along with two Saudis and a Briton.