Last Update 17:52
Friday, 15 November 2019

Syria rebels to cede heavy weapons in Homs deal: governor

AFP , Wednesday 13 Jan 2016
Homs
Civil Defence members work at the site of two bomb explosions in the Syrian city of Homs, Syria, in this handout picture provided by SANA on December 28, 2015 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 584
Share/Bookmark
Views: 584

Syrian rebels in a former opposition stronghold in Homs will relinquish nearly half their heavy weapons as part of a landmark truce with the government, the provincial governor said Wednesday.

Talal Barazi told AFP that the second phase of the agreement over Waer, which had been the last opposition-held neighbourhood in the central city, was under way.

The deal was reached in December and envisions Waer coming under government control in exchange for the lifting of a devastating three-year siege.

In the first step, carried out last month, about 700 people -- 400 women and children and 300 rebel fighters -- were evacuated from the district.

According to Barazi, "the second phase of the Waer agreement began four days ago and will continue until the beginning of February."

He said that it had started with a call for rebels to prepare to give up the weapons but that the handover had not yet started.

Barazi described the implementation of the deal as a "trust-building process".

Rebels are expected to hand over "nearly 50 percent of all medium- and heavy-weaponry, like machine guns and mortars," he told AFP by telephone.

Government forces will also open a second crossing point into the neighbourhood, allowing residents and displaced individuals to travel more freely, Barazi added.

State institutions, including health centres, will begin gradually reopening in Waer.

Barazi said a "reconciliation process" would begin for the rebel fighters still in the district, estimated to number about 1,000.

"Whoever wants to regularise his status should present himself to the relevant authorities with information about his activities," Barazi said.

Opposition fighters who did not want to do so would be evacuated from the neighbourhood in the third phase, he added.

They are expected to take the remaining 50 percent of heavy weaponry with them.

Similar local truces have been implemented in other parts of Syria, with rebels leaving towns or handing over weapons in exchange for an end to crippling sieges.

Both Syria's government and the United Nations have been pushing for such localised ceasefires as a way to end Syria's nearly five-year war, which has left more than 260,000 people dead.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.