Last Update 1:36
Saturday, 21 September 2019

Yemen PM says confronting Islamist militants 'inevitable'

AFP , Tuesday 19 Jan 2016
Yemen PM Bahah
Yemen's Prime Minister and Vice President Khaled Bahah gestures as he attends a news conference in Abu Dhabi, UAE January 19, 2016. (Photo: REUTERS)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1029
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1029

Yemeni Prime Minister Khaled Bahah said on Tuesday that confronting Islamist militants in government-controlled regions of the war-torn country was inevitable in the future.

Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State (ISIS) group are both active in Yemen, but so far the Yemeni government and its allies have concentrated on battling Iran-backed Shia Houthi rebels.

Eliminating the extremism of the Islamist militants groups will not be resolved though dialogue, Bahah told reporters in Abu Dhabi.

"A confrontation is inevitable, whether it takes place today or tomorrow," he said.

"Today we are facing various forms of terrorism aimed at shedding blood, killing innocent people, destroying cities... and endangering liberated regions" of the country, Bahah added.

The Saudi-led coalition supporting the government with air strikes and ground troops has so far not targeted the Islamist militants even though Al-Qaeda seized the southeastern port city of Mukalla in April.

Loyalist forces have regained control since July of five provinces including the government's temporary capital Aden.

But the government faces a growing Islamist insurgency presence in the city where there have been several attacks and assassinations targeting officials.

"The presence of these groups has hampered efforts to rebuild liberated" towns destroyed by months of deadly fighting between rebels and loyalists, said Bahah who himself escaped a bombing claimed by ISIS in Aden last year.

Bahah, who is also vice president, insisted that his government hoped to return to Sanaa "peacefully... through political consultations."

He did not give a date for the postponed next round of UN-brokered peace talks between the government and the insurgents.

The Yemeni government sat down with the rebels and their allies last month in Switzerland for six days of talks that ended without a major breakthrough.

Foreign Minister Abdulmalek al-Mikhlafi said Saturday that the talks, initially scheduled to start on January 14, had been pushed back until January 20 or 23

More than 5,800 people have been killed in Yemen since the start of the Saudi-led bombing campaign, about half of them civilians, according to the United Nations.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.