Last Update 17:28
Wednesday, 08 April 2020

Eight killed in suicide bombing near Yemen presidential palace

AFP , Thursday 28 Jan 2016
Yemen conflict
File Photo: Armed Yemeni men look at the wreckage of a vehicle on January 18, 2016, in the aftermath of a suicide car bombing on the residence of Aden's police chief, General Shalal Shaea (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1533
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1533

A suicide car bombing killed at least eight people at a checkpoint outside Yemen's presidential palace in the southern city of Aden on Thursday, security and medical officials said.

The dead included soldiers and civilians and at least 12 others were wounded, a medical source said.

A security source said the attack appeared to target the convoy of a local businessman who was entering the presidential complex.

Sources had initially said the convoy was carrying Aden's governor, Aidarus al-Zubaidi, but he later told AFP he was not in the area at the time of the attack.

Witnesses said the blast had damaged at least six vehicles and a nearby mosque.

Zubaidi survived a car bombing earlier this month, after being appointed in December following the killing of his predecessor, Jaafar Saad, in an Aden bombing claimed by the Islamic State (ISIS) group.

Aden has become the temporary headquarters for President Abd-rabbo Mansour Hadi's government as it battles to retake large parts of the country from Shia Houthi rebels, including the capital Sanaa.

But the city has also seen a growing militant presence, with Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, long active in Yemen, and ISIS apparently vying for influence.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.