Last Update 10:32
Monday, 24 July 2017

Militant attack kills six soldiers in western Iraq

AFP , Monday 21 Mar 2016
Iraqi soldiers
March 9, 2016 file photo, Popular Mobilization forces chant slogans against the Islamic State group as Iraqi Defense Minister Khaled al-Obeidi tours the front line in Anbar, Iraq (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735

Militants fighters killed at least six soldiers in western Iraq in an attack Monday that began with five suicide bombers driving explosives-laden vehicles into a checkpoint, officials said.

A senior officer in the Iraqi army, which was manning the checkpoint near the town of Al-Baghdadi in Anbar province, said nine soldiers were also wounded in the morning attack.

He told AFP that after the suicide attacks some 25 militants launched an assault on the checkpoint, the main one on the road leading to Al-Asad air base, where a large number of Iraqi troops and foreign advisers are stationed.

The officer said most of the gunmen were wearing suicide vests.

About five hours of clashes ensued, he said, and all the attackers were killed, with the support of strikes from the US-led international coalition.

Malallah al-Obeidi, the head of the Al-Baghdadi local council, confirmed the details of the attack and said that Iraqi forces were in control of the checkpoint.

Al-Baghdadi lies on the Euphrates river, about 180 kilometres (110 miles) northwest of Baghdad.

Iraqi security forces have in recent days been involved in a major push to retake the city of Hit, which lies further along the river and is controlled by the Islamic State group.

They are closing in on the town from Al-Baghdadi and from Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province which was fully retaken from IS group last month.

The vast operation to flush IS group out of cities in Anbar has displaced tens of thousands of people and fighting is far from over.

"We fear that as many as 50,000 individuals will be displaced in the upcoming days as the military operations continue," said the Norwegian Refugee Council's Programme Manager, Salah Noori.

Aid agencies have warned that the families displaced from Hit and its surroundings are very hard to reach and still dangerously close to the front lines.

Some 53,000 people had already been forced to flee their homes this year before the start of the operation to retake Hit, according to UN figures.

The International Organisation for Migration says 44 percent of the more than 3.3 million people displaced in Iraq since the beginning of 2014 are from Anbar.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.