Last Update 18:18
Wednesday, 03 June 2020

Kenya tightens security as killing spree suspects named

AFP, Wednesday 15 Dec 2010
Share/Bookmark
Views: 656
Share/Bookmark
Views: 656

Kenya's police chief Wednesday warned against violence after the International Criminal Court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo names suspects in the worst post-independence bloodletting three years ago.

Mathew Iteere said security had been tightened as police had received information on plans to fuel unrest in the east African country.
"We will not tolerate any acts of violence from anybody anywhere in the country. The rule of law must be observed at all times," Iteere told reporters.
"We have received intelligence information that there are people who intend to incite others to break the law by participating in violence after the suspects are named. We are warning that such people will face the full force of the law."

Iteere added: "We have made adequate security arrangements all over the country. There should be no panic at all even after the suspects are named by the ICC. Kenyans should exercise caution."

Moreno-Ocampo is expected later Wednesday to make public the names of six prominent Kenyans suspected of masterminding the clashes that erupted after a disputed presidential election on December 27, 2007.

Senior government officials and top politicians are widely expected to be among the six blamed for the violence that killed some 1,500 people and displaced more that 300,000.

What began as political riots soon turned into ethnic killings targeting President Mwai Kibaki's Kikuyu tribe, who then launched reprisal attacks in which homes were torched, people hacked to death.

"We are appealing to political leaders to participate in peace building now and in the future. No one should take advantage of the situation to cause or participate in violence," Iteere warned.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.