Last Update 12:12
Monday, 16 September 2019

Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television shuts Lebanon offices

AFP , Friday 1 Apr 2016
Al-Arabiya
A man leaves while holding a suitcase as security personnel gather outside the offices of the Saudi-owned television news channel Al-Arabiya in Beirut, Lebanon April 1, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 956
Share/Bookmark
Views: 956

The Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya news channel has shut down its offices in Lebanon, it said on Friday, in a new sign of tensions between the kingdom and the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement.

The Beirut offices of Al-Arabiya and its sister channel Al-Hadath, which offers extensive coverage of political news, have been closed and they no longer have any correspondents in Lebanon, a spokesman told AFP.

In a statement, the Dubai-based channel said it has "restructured" its operations in Lebanon "due to the difficult circumstances and challenges on ground, and out of Al-Arabiya's concern for the safety of its own employees and those employed by its providers."

It said it would nonetheless "continue to closely cover Lebanese affairs."

The channel said it would help employees affected by the decision to find jobs elsewhere with Al-Arabiya or its providers.

Those dismissed would be given "their full legitimate rights" and "other exceptional grants".

Lebanon's National News Agency said the decision would affect 27 employees.

In the lobby of the Al-Arabiya offices in downtown Beirut, half a dozen security guards stood watching as employees left the building for the last time.

One security guard was changing the lock on the office door, an AFP photographer said.

After exiting the building, several employees stood around smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

One of them said they had learned of the decision to shut the Beirut offices only Friday morning.

Shiite militant group Hezbollah is the leading force in Lebanon's governing coalition but in March Saudi Arabia and the other five Gulf Arab states blacklisted it as a "terrorist" group.

The kingdom halted a $3 billion programme of military aid to Lebanon to protest what it said was "the stranglehold of Hezbollah on the state".

It also urged its citizens to leave Lebanon and avoid travelling there.

Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait followed with similar travel advisories, while the United Arab Emirates banned its nationals from travel to Lebanon.

The moves come against the backdrop of increased tensions with Tehran this year after demonstrators attacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran and the consulate in second city Mashhad earlier this year.

The attacks on the missions came after Saudi Arabia executed a Shiite. Later, Riyadh to cut diplomatic ties with Tehran.

Hezbollah is fighting in Syria in support of President Bashar al-Assad against Gulf-backed rebels.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.