Last Update 16:47
Monday, 16 September 2019

Morocco-W. Sahara talks end in deadlock

AFP, Sunday 19 Dec 2010
Share/Bookmark
Views: 602
Share/Bookmark
Views: 602

Morocco and the Western Sahara group, the Polisario Front, on Saturday ended more UN-brokered talks without making progress on the future of the disputed north African territory.

"Each party continues to reject the proposal of the other as a sole basis for future negotiations," UN special envoy Christopher Ross said at the end of the three days of talks at Manhasset, near New York.

The two sides have agreed to meet again on January 21-22 and in March and proposed "concrete ideas" aimed at giving a new impetus to the talks in 2011, Ross added.

Morocco started to annex Western Sahara after Spain withdrew in 1975. The Polisario Front has demanded a self-determination referendum, while Morocco has offered greater autonomy. Front guerrillas fought Moroccan forces until a UN-brokered ceasefire came into effect in 1991.

The Polisario Front blamed Morocco for the deadlock in the latest informal talks. "The Moroccan delegation remained entrenched in its obstructionist attitude based on an obsolete and undemocratic approach," said Khatri Adduh, head of the Polisario delegation.

Morocco's Foreign Minister Taib Fassi Fihri highlighted the decision to "energize the process" and said his delegation had made many proposals to boost efforts to reach a political solution.

Fihri said Morocco wanted "a better environment for a real and deep and frank and better negotiations."

Talks last month were overshadowed by a November 8 raid by Moroccan security forces on a huge squatter camp near Western Sahara's main city of Laayoune. And it was raised again in these negotiations.

Fihri said international and human rights groups had confirmed that no civilians inside the camp were killed. He said that only police were killed in clashes. According to Moroccan authorities 11 security forces died on November 8.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.