Last Update 20:32
Saturday, 21 September 2019

UN under fire for removing Saudi-led coalition from blacklist

AFP , Tuesday 7 Jun 2016
Ban Ki-moon
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1312
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1312

The United Nations on Tuesday was forced to defend its decision to remove the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen from a blacklist of child rights violators after rights groups expressed dismay.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric insisted that no final decision had been taken, and that the coalition was taken off the list pending a review that is expected to be completed before August.

"I don't think it's a reversal of policy," Dujarric told reporters. "We will see what the review is and we will adjust the list as needed."

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International blasted Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon over the decision, accusing him of caving in to Saudi pressure and damaging the world body's credibility.

In its annual report on children in armed conflict published Thursday, the United Nations added the coalition to its list of shame after concluding it was responsible for 60 percent of the 785 children killed in Yemen last year.

Saudi Arabia reacted angrily and demanded that the report be "corrected."

Saudi Ambassador Abdullah al-Mouallimi said the number of child deaths blamed on the coalition was "wildly exaggerated," and later proclaimed that the decision to be taken off the list was "irreversible."

Dujarric said the United Nations stands by the content of the report, but was willing to review information that the coalition "insists is important for our analysis."

"We stand by everything -- every fact and figure that is in the report," said the spokesman.

 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
2



Green1991
08-06-2016 09:52pm
0-
0+
Saudi had to intervene for the general good
Saudi Arabia should not be held accountable for children deaths since they are hired to plant mines and fight in battle fields. I think if they did not intervene, it would be a civil war like Syria.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



lucky
08-06-2016 05:00pm
0-
0+
amnesty is a joke...
You don't here amnesty KenRoth spewing hate over ***Iran***-Backed and armed Houthis who are arming all the little kids and forcing them to fight and getting all them killed and Amnesty overlooks this and points fingers at Saudi for defending their borders... AND ironically... KenRoth of amnesty did the same thing with iran-backed and armed Hama's forcing little child soldiers to their deaths forcing them to attack Israel and KenRoth spews hate at Israel for defending their borders from an army of weapon toting children. WHY isn't KenRoth pointing fingers at the common denominator? Which is Iran is getting all the little children killed.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.