Last Update 18:10
Thursday, 22 October 2020

Italy says 2 kidnapped Italians, 1 Canadian freed in Libya

AP , Saturday 5 Nov 2016
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1791
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1791

Italy's Foreign Ministry says two Italians and a Canadian citizen who had been kidnapped in Libya have been freed and returned safely to Italy.

The ministry said the three men were "liberated" in southern Libya during the night and brought early Saturday on a special flight to Italy.

A statement said their release was due to "the efficient collaboration of local Libyan authorities" but did not provide details.

They were kidnapped on Sept. 19 in Ghat by a group of armed men who blocked their vehicle.

It identified the Italians as Danilo Calonego and Bruno Cacace and the Canadian citizen of Italian origin, Frank Poccia.

ANSA news agency said they are all technicians with an Italian company, Conicos, which is doing construction work at an airport in Libya.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.