Last Update 21:7
Monday, 24 June 2019

Iran opposition leader Karroubi quits after 6 years' house arrest

AFP , Tuesday 27 Dec 2016
Mehdi Karoubi
File Photo: Former Iranian presidential candidate Mehdi Karoubi speaks during a news conference in Tehran June 9, 2009. (REUTERS)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2215
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2215

Mehdi Karroubi, a leading member of the Iranian opposition who has been under house arrest for almost six years, announced he is quitting his party, Iranian media reported on Tuesday.

Karroubi and Mir Hossein Mousavi were reformist candidates during the 2009 presidential election, and questioned the shock victory of conservative Mahmoud Ahmadinejad which led to mass protests.

Two years later, both leaders ended up under house arrest for their part in the protests, which regime leaders still call "the sedition".

"Considering my situation since (2011) and given that I do not know how long this will last, I ask my friends to accept my resignation," Karroubi, 79, wrote in a letter to his party, according to reformist newspaper Shargh.

There have been repeated calls for Karroubi and Mousavi to be tried in court to no avail.

Hardliners claim house arrest was actually an "act of clemency" for the two leaders, since otherwise they would be put to death for sedition, in the words of ultra-conservative lawmaker Mojtaba Zolnour last week.

Sadegh Larijani, the head of the judiciary, which is considered close to hardliners, said Monday that the "sedition dossier is still open and will be examined," without giving further details.

Karroubi said his resignation was aimed at preserving the unity of his party, National Trust, ahead of the presidential election in May -- despite it being banned since his arrest.

"While keeping its independence, the party must cooperate with the other reformist groups and movements," he wrote.

President Hassan Rouhani, a moderate who allied with the reformists to win power in 2013, has failed to secure the release of Karroubi and Mousavi as he promised during his campaign.

Reformists and moderates have said they will maintain their alliance ahead of May's election, when Rouhani is expected to run for a second term.

The conservative camp have also sought to unite their disparate factions. A new group called the Popular Front of the Forces of the Islamic Revolution was announced on Sunday with a view to choosing a single candidate to run against Rouhani.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.