Last Update 18:15
Saturday, 21 September 2019

Tunisia dismantles 'terrorist cell' in growing crackdown

AFP , Wednesday 4 Jan 2017
Tunisia
File photo- Tunisian security forces have dismantled a 13-member "terrorist cell" that was funnelling young recruits to militant groups (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1827
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1827

Tunisian security forces have dismantled a 13-member "terrorist cell" that was funnelling young recruits to militant groups, authorities said Wednesday, as part of a growing crackdown on extremists.

The suspects, aged between 22 and 43, were arrested on Tuesday in Hergla, a town north of the coastal resort city of Sousse, the interior ministry said in a statement.

Members of the cell held "secret meetings in a mosque" and admitted to recruiting and sending 12 youths to fight with Islamist militant groups abroad, it said, linking it to the Okba Ibn Nafaa Battalion, a group connected to Al-Qaeda.

It was the seventh announcement in less than a week of arrests of alleged "terrorists" in Tunisia, which has detained more than 70 people in a widening crackdown on Islamist militants since December 25.

Authorities stepped up their efforts after Tunisian Anis Amri was identified as the primary suspect in last month's attack on a Berlin Christmas market that killed 12 people.

Amri was shot dead by police in the Italian city of Milan four days after the attack, which was claimed by the Islamic State group.

Since the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, Tunisia has been battling an Islamist militant movement that has killed dozens of soldiers and police officers as well as civilians including 59 foreign tourists.

Some 3,000 Tunisians have joined the ranks of militant groups fighting in neighbouring Libya, as well as in Syria and Iraq, according to officials. The United Nations puts the figure at 5,000.

Tunisia's government said last week that it had jailed or closely monitored 800 militants who had returned from foreign battlefields.

Concern has been growing for the threat posed by returning militants, with the national union for security forces last month urging the government to take "exceptional measures" against them.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.