Last Update 22:7
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Palestinians bury alleged assailants killed by Israel in attacks

AFP , Saturday 7 Jan 2017
Palestinians
Mourners attend the funeral of Mohamed al-Rajabi, a Palestinian who was killed after reportedly carrying out a stabbing attack on Israeli soldiers months ago, in the West Bank town of Hebron on January 7, 2017, after his body was returned by Israeli authorities. (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1688
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1688

Around 1,500 mourners attended the funerals Saturday in the occupied West Bank city of Hebron of two alleged Palestinian assailants killed by Israeli troops last year.

Hatem Shaludi, 25, and 16-year-old Mohammed Rajabi were both shot dead in September during separate alleged stabbing attacks on Israeli soldiers in the occupied city.

Israeli authorities returned their bodies for burial by their families on Friday.

Since October 2015, 246 Palestinians, 36 Israelis, two Americans, a Jordanian, an Eritrean and a Sudanese have been killed in a wave of violence, according to an AFP count.

Most of the Palestinians killed were carrying out knife, gun or car-ramming attacks, according to occupation authorities.

Others were shot dead during protests or clashes, while some died in Israeli air strikes on the besieged-Gaza Strip.

Since the start of the violence, Israeli forces have confiscated the bodies of killed Palestinians, often for several months, as a means of deterrence and to prevent clashes during funerals.

Israel is still withholding the remains of seven Palestinians, three from Hebron which is a frequent hotspot.

Mourners at Saturday's funerals carried pictures of the deceased, Palestinian national flags and banners of various Palestinian groups, including the Islamist militant movement Hamas.

It was not known, however, if either Shaludi or Rajabi were directly linked to Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.

Israel said last week that it would not release the bodies of Hamas militants killed during attacks on Israelis but would instead bury them itself.

The decision by the security cabinet followed the release by Hamas of video footage showing a mock birthday party for Israeli soldier Oron Shaul, believed by the army to have been killed in the 2014 war on Gaza.

The government did not elaborate on the burial plan, but said that the same meeting discussed ways of getting back the remains of Shaul and another soldier killed in the Gaza war and obtaining the release of two Israelis missing in Gaza and believed to be held by Hamas.

In September, a senior Israeli official said that Israel had been holding since the war 18 Palestinians from Gaza as well as the bodies of 19 others and had "offered to swap them for the bodies of the two Israeli soldiers".

He said that Hamas turned down the offer.

*This story was edited by Ahram Online

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.