An Iraqi Islamist militant was one of the suicide bombers who blew himself up outside the Stade de France during the November 2015 attacks on Paris, a French intelligence source said Wednesday.
Until now, only one of the three bombers who detonated their explosives outside the stadium during a France-Germany friendly had been identified: Bilal Hadfi, a 20-year-old Frenchman living in Belgium.
France's DGSE intelligence agency now believes that one of Hadfi's accomplices, who was carrying a fake Syrian passport, was Ammar Ramadan Mansour Mohamad al-Sabaawi from the Iraqi city of Mosul.
He and the third attacker, whose identity is still unknown, are believed to have slipped into Europe with a group of refugees who landed on the Greek island of Leros on October 3, 2015.
One person was killed in the Stade de France attack which marked the start of a series of coordinated strikes around Paris on the evening of November 13, 2015, that was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
In all 130 people were killed that night as a group of militants went on the rampage, spraying bars and restaurants with bullets and killing 90 people attending a rock concert at the Bataclan theatre.
In a memo from February 2016 that was declassified in December, DGSE agents said IS paid the Iraqi's family the equivalent of $5,000 (around 4,670 euros) in Iraqi dinars in compensation for his death.