Last Update 20:53
Thursday, 14 November 2019

Turkey quake kills seven, topples buildings

Second earthquake in less than three weeks hits eastern Turkey killing 7, others trapped under rubble

AFP , Thursday 10 Nov 2011
Turkey
Rescue workers pull out a man from the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Van, eastern Turkey, early Thursday.Rescuers have pulled out 24 survivors from the rubble of three buildings, collapsed by an earthquake in Van, the country's disaster management authority said Thursday Nov. 10, 2011. (Photo:AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 913
Share/Bookmark
Views: 913

An earthquake rocked eastern Turkey late Wednesday, killing seven people and toppling buildings less than three weeks after a massive quake killed more than 600 people in the same area.

Television footage showed rescue teams searching through the rubble trying to find possible survivors after the 5.6 magnitude quake struck near the city of Van, sending two hotels and about two dozen other buildings crashing down.

The death toll has been put at seven, while 23 people were found alive, according to a goverment disaster management agency. It was not clear how many people remained trapped under the rubble.

The quake sowed fresh panic among residents still struggling to cope after the deadly 7.2 magnitude earthquake which struck the region on October 23, killing more than 600 people and injuring more than 4,150.

Two of the collapsed buildings were hotels, private NTV television said, including one six-storey building in the Van city centre which was mostly occupied by journalists and teams from the Turkish Red Crescent.

Nine planes carrying almost 300 rescuers were dispatched to the region, national television said, as rescue operations were carried out with mechanical diggers under arc lights.

Of the 25 buildings that collapsed, 22 were empty, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said from the scene.

"Search and rescue operations are continuing in three buildings," he added.

Wednesday's quake occurred at 1923 GMT, with the epicentre in the Edremit district, some 15 kilometres (nine miles) from Van province, according to the Istanbul-based Kandilli Observatory. The USGS put the magnitude at 5.6, after having earlier put it at 5.7.

The number of people in the hotels was not known, which was why the toll might rise.

The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was 16 kilometres (10 miles) south of Van, with its depth given as five kilometres (three miles).

Experts told Turkish television stations that a moderate quake of 5.6 magnitude would not cause any human or material loss under normal circumstances.

However, the fallout from the latest quake could grow because of the fact that the buildings which were damaged in the previous quake were not entirely emptied.

"It would be premature to say if it is an aftershock or an earthquake," Kandilli Observatory Director Professor Mustafa Erdik told NTV. But in a later announcement, the observatory said it was a separate quake.

In the October quake, Turkey accepted help from dozens of countries, including Israel and Armenia, both states with which it has frosty relations.

That tremor destroyed many homes in Van province near Iran, including more than 5,000 in the regional capital of Van, provoking claims that building standards had been flouted.

Many survivors were forced to camp out in tents or makeshift shelters, fearing further building collapses with rain and snow adding to their misery.

Turkey is earthquake-prone due to being crossed by several fault lines.

In 1999, two strong quakes in the heavily-populated and industrialised regions of northwest Turkey left some 20,000 people dead.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.