Last Update 20:36
Sunday, 21 October 2018

UN aid flight carrying BBC journalists barred from Yemen

AFP , Wednesday 19 Jul 2017
Aid plane
Workers unload emergency medical aid from a plane at Sanaa airport April 13, 2015 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1869
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1869

A Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen has barred a United Nations aid flight from heading to the country's rebel-held capital with journalists on board, the UN and Yemen's government said Wednesday.

"The coalition suspended the UN flight leaving Djibouti for Sanaa on Tuesday as there were three BBC journalists on board," Saleh Humeidi, a top official with Yemen's information ministry, told AFP.

Saudi Arabia leads a pro-government military coalition which is fighting Iran-backed Houthi rebels for control of the impoverished country.

The conflict has killed more than 8,000 people and displaced three million since the coalition intervened in 2015.

The coalition has imposed an air embargo on areas controlled by Houthi rebels and their allies, former troops loyal to ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh -- including the capital Sanaa.

International organisations require clearance to deliver aid to the country, which the UN says is the world's biggest humanitarian crisis.

The UN on Wednesday confirmed that the flight had been cancelled despite all those on board having the required visas.

"We confirm that the coalition cancelled yesterday the Djibouti-Sanaa UN flight because of a BBC team on the manifest, asking for the flight to be rescheduled without the journalists," said Ahmed Ben Lassoued, Yemen spokesman for the UN's humanitarian coordination office, UNOCHA.

Ben Lassoued said the journalists had secured visas from both sides of Yemen's conflict -- government and rebel authorities -- and shared their itinerary with the Saudi-led coalition.

The information ministry of Yemen's internationally recognised government, based in second city Aden, said it "regrets the UN attempt" to put journalists on the flight.

Authorities "feared for the safety of the journalists", it said.

The BBC did not immediately comment.

Yemen's conflict has pushed seven million people to the brink of famine, according to the UN.

The country has also been hit by a deadly cholera outbreak that has claimed more than 1,740 lives since late April.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.