Last Update 22:4
Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Riyadh to host Syria opposition meeting

AFP , Tuesday 14 Nov 2017
Syria Talks
File Photo: UN Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Syria Staffan de Mistura (3rd L) attends a new round of negotiation with Syria's main opposition High Negotiations Committee (HNC) leader Nasr al-Hariri during the Intra Syria talks, at Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland July 14, 2017 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 883
Share/Bookmark
Views: 883

Saudi Arabia is to host a meeting of the Syrian opposition later this month as the United Nations prepares to convene new peace talks with the government buoyed by victories over the Islamic State group.

The meeting will be held in Riyadh from November 22 to 24 at the request of opposition factions and will aim to form a "joint negotiating delegation to resume direct negotiations in Geneva under the auspices of the UN," the official Saudi Press Agency reported late on Monday.

The latest round of UN-brokered peace talks is due to open on November 28. UN envoy Staffan de Mistura said late last month that the talks had reached a "moment of truth".

The government has been buoyed by its recapture from the Islamic State (IS) militant group of the eastern city of Deir Ezzor and other towns further down the Euphrates Valley towards the Iraqi border.

The opposition has been weakened by the capture of most of the northwestern province of Idlib by a Islamist militant-led alliance which is excluded from the Geneva talks.

Late on Monday, US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis voiced strong support for the peace process, vowing that the coalition Washington has led against Islamist militant groups in Syria and Iraq would remain committed to the search for a lasting political solution.

"We're not just going to walk away right now until the Geneva process has traction," Mattis told reporters.

"We are going to make sure we set the conditions for a diplomatic solution."

This year, the Geneva talks have been largely sidelined by a separate talks process in the Kazakh capital Astana sponsored by rebel supporter Turkey and government allies Iran and Russia.

Those talks have resulted in the establishment of three safe zones in key battlegrounds between the government and the rebels, and plans for a fourth.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.