Last Update 21:27
Tuesday, 23 July 2019

France worried by Syrian army offensive in Idlib, wants Astana deal respected

Reuters , Wednesday 10 Jan 2018
Idlib
People look at the damage in the aftermath of an explosion at a base for Asian jihadists in a rebel-held area of the northwestern Syrian city of Idlib on January 8, 2018. (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2491
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2491

France said on Wednesday it was "extremely concerned" by a Syrian government offensive in the rebel-held northwestern province of Idlib and demanded that commitments made at an international deal in Astana to reduce hostilities be respected.

Nearly three million people are believed to be in the Idlib region, their numbers swelled by fighters and civilians who fled Syrian army advances elsewhere in the country.

"France condemns the intense bombardments carried out by the Bashar al-Assad regime's air force and its allies in the Idlib region in recent days, particularly those targeting the civilian population and several hospitals," France's foreign ministry said in a statement.

It added that deliberately targeting health centres constituted a violation of international law.

The Syrian army, supported by Iran-backed militias and Russian air power, began an offensive in late October in Hama province. By the end of last week, they had advanced into Idlib, close to an insurgent-held military airport.

The fighting and air strikes have forced more than 60,000 people to leave their homes since Nov. 1, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

The area is part of a de-escalation zone agreement in the Kazakh capital Astana last year between Turkey, which supports rebel groups, and Assad allies Iran and Russia.

"We ask that the commitments made in Astana be respected, so that the violence stops as soon as possible. Safe, comprehensive and unimpeded humanitarian access to all people in need must be ensured immediately," the ministry added.

It also said it was "outraged" by the ongoing siege in Eastern Ghouta, another rebel-held area, where the U.N. human rights chief said on Wednesday that at least 85 civilians have been killed since Dec. 31. 

 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.