Last Update 23:52
Thursday, 18 October 2018

UN calls on Russia, Iran and Turkey to break Syria aid deadlock

Reuters , Thursday 1 Feb 2018
Idlib
File Photo: Armed men are seen at a check point in the border town of Al-Bab, near the Syrian-Turkish border, in Idlib province, Syria January 17, 2018 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2053
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2053

A United Nations humanitarian task force has been unable to make deliveries to desperate Syrians for the past two months as President Bashar al-Assad's government has witheld approval for aid convoys, the U.N. humanitarian adviser said on Thursday.

Before they can move into besieged areas or across front lines, the convoys require letters from the government and security guarantees from armed groups.

"It's an all-time low in giving us the facilitation letters," adviser Jan Egeland told reporters after meeting senior diplomats in Geneva.

Insurgents fighting Assad's forces were also creating obstacles, contributing to the worst situation since 2015, he said.

Egeland called on Russia, Turkey and Iran to de-escalate the fighting in Idlib governorate, which he said was "screaming for a ceasefire".

"When we need their ability to influence the parties the most, in this bleak hour for humanitarian work, humanitarian diplomacy seems to be totally impotent. We're getting nowhere at the moment."

This week Russia convened a Syrian peace congress in Sochi. Egeland said it had so far not resulted in any progress but he hoped that it would.

Air strikes hit two crowded markets in Idlib this week, killing at least 31 people, and have deprived hundreds of thousands of healthcare.

"I told the members of the humanitarian task force, we cannot have conventional warfare in what is essentially a refugee camp," Egeland said.

Further north, a Turkish offensive in Afrin district has displaced about 15,000 people, Egeland said, adding: "There are also reports...that local authorities have made it hard for people to flee from the Afrin area."

And outside Damascus, the rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta, where almost 400,000 people are under siege and about 750 need urgent medical evacuation, desperately needs a pause in the fighting, he said.

"We have indications from both sides that they want it, but it hasn't happened. And it's both sides that have to help us here. There are air raids, fighting from the government side, but there is a barrage of mortars and grenades going from this area going into civilian neighbourhoods in Damascus."

He also said 112 people had been killed by explosions in the town of Raqqa since it was recaptured from Islamic State (IS) militants in October because people had been allowed back to their homes before the town had been cleared of bombs.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.