Last Update 19:28
Thursday, 19 September 2019

Saudi forces say intercept missile fired by Yemen rebels

AFP , Saturday 31 Mar 2018
Turki al-Malki
File Photo: Coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki speaks during a news conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia March 26, 2018 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1437
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1437

Saudi air defences intercepted a missile fired by Yemeni rebels at the kingdom's southern city of Najran on Saturday, the Saudi-led coalition fighting the rebels said, adding that one person was wounded.

"The missile was fired at Najran indiscriminately and with the aim of hitting residential areas," coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki told the official Saudi Press Agency.

"It was successfully intercepted and the debris fell on residential areas, lightly wounding one Indian expatriate."

Yemen's Saba news agency, run by the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, said the missile had been fired at a Saudi National Guard base in Najran, just over the border from Yemen where the Saudi-led coalition intervened on the side of the government in March 2015.

The coalition said on Thursday it intercepted another missile fired by the Houthis at the southern city of Jazan -- the latest in a series of such attacks that have drawn widespread condemnation.

The coalition spokesman again hit out at Iran after Saturday's attack, accusing it of "jeopardising the security of Saudi Arabia, the region and the whole world."

The UN Security Council this week condemned "in the strongest possible terms" multiple missile attacks launched by the Houthis on Saudi territory, saying they posed a threat to regional security.

In one of the biggest such attacks yet, Saudi forces last weekend said they intercepted seven missiles fired by rebels toward cities including Riyadh, killing one person.

The coalition intervened in Yemen to push back the Houthis who captured the capital Sanaa and forced the government into exile.

Riyadh has accused arch-rival Tehran of providing the missiles and threatened retaliation against Iran.

Tehran has denied making any arms deliveries.

*This story was edited by Ahram Online. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.