Last Update 13:22
Wednesday, 21 August 2019

Air strikes kill at least 32 in rebel-held city in Syria, rescuers say

Reuters , Monday 22 Jul 2019
Idlib
Onlookers and members of the Syrian civil defence, known as the White Helmets, gather in a street devastated after airstrikes by pro-regime forces in the town of Saraqib, in Syria's northwestern Idlib province, on July 22, 2019. -(AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 673
Share/Bookmark
Views: 673

Air strikes on a popular market and residential neighborhoods killed at least 32 people and wounded dozens on Monday in an attack on one of the main opposition-held cities in northwestern Syria, rescuers and residents said.

The raids, believed to be carried out by either Syrian or Russian jets, targeted Maarat al-Numan, a densely populated city in the south of Idlib province, leaving a trail of destruction and carnage, they said.

“Bodies are lying on the streets. May God take revenge on (Russian President Vladimir) Putin and (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad) for their crimes,” Abdul Rahman al-Yasser, a rescuer from Idlib’s civil defense team, told Reuters. He was searching for bodies under the rubble.

Busy marketplaces and residential areas have been frequently targeted during a campaign waged by Syria and Russia since the end of April. Assaults on civilian areas have killed hundreds, rescuers say. Airstrikes killed another six people in the town of Saraqeb on Monday.

Russia’s Ministry of Defence on Monday denied its planes had carried out the latest air strikes, saying they had not flown any missions in Idlib.

Allegations of Russian involvement were “a fake” pushed by the White Helmets rescue workers, it said in statement.

Syrian state media reported that several people had been injured by shells fired by rebels near the insurgent enclave.

Residents said escalating strikes on urban centers have triggered a new wave of displacement towards the relative safety of the border area with Turkey.

The offensive has so far failed to make major inroads into rebel territory in Hama and Idlib provinces, where mainstream rebels backed by Turkey alongside jihadist fighters are putting up fierce resistance in their last remaining bastion.

Turkey, which reached an accord last September with Russia to contain the fighting and is seen by many civilians in opposition areas as a protector, said Moscow should pressure its Syrian ally to halt the bombing.

“The responsibility to stop the regime attacks (in Idlib) is on our neighbor Russia,” Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told Turkish broadcaster TGRT Haber.

U.S.-based Human Rights Watch said last month the Russian-Syrian operation had used “internationally prohibited and other indiscriminate weapons in unlawful attacks on civilians”.

Russia and the Syrian army deny allegations of indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas and say they are fighting al-Qaeda-inspired Islamist militants.

The United Nations estimates at least 330,000 people have been uprooted since the offensive began.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.