Last Update 21:59
Tuesday, 19 November 2019

Iran says Saudi attack claimed by Yemen rebels justified

AP , Monday 30 Sep 2019
Iran
Iran foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 927
Share/Bookmark
Views: 927

Iran said Monday that the missile-and-drone attack on major Saudi oil sites was an act of ``legitimate defense'' by Yemen's Iran-allied Houthi rebels.

The Sept. 14 assault was claimed by the Houthis, though Saudi Arabia says it was ``unquestionably sponsored by Iran.'' The kingdom has been at war with the Houthis in Yemen since March 2015.

Iran denies being responsible and has warned any retaliatory attack targeting it will result in an ``all-out war.''

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Monday called Saudi accusations ``baseless,'' adding that Iran supports the Houthis though ``spiritual and political'' means. He added that ``cease-fire and dialogue'' was the only face-saving solution for Saudi Arabia.

Cabinet spokesman Ali Rabiei said the world has ignored another possibility, that the Houthis could have used Russian weapons seized from the Yemeni army or that they had procured them on the weapons market.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told ``60 Minutes'' in an interview that aired on Sunday that ``only a fool would attack'' major Saudi oil sites and urged ``strong and firm action to deter Iran.''

The attack on oil facilities has heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington. US-Iranian relations have deteriorated since President Donald Trump last year pulled America out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers and re-imposed sanctions that sent the country's economy into freefall.

Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif criticized Europe for failing to save the nuclear deal from unraveling.

* This story was edited by Ahram Online.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.