Last Update 11:18
Thursday, 14 November 2019

Thirty killed in DR Congo bus accident

AFP , Sunday 20 Oct 2019
Share/Bookmark
Views: 756
Share/Bookmark
Views: 756

At least 30 people were killed when a packed bus came off the road and burst into flames overnight near Kinshasa, the DR Congo capital, a local official said Sunday.

"The current toll is 30 dead. Eighteen others have third-degree burns," Red Cross spokesman David Nsiala told AFP.

"We are continuing the work of identifying the bodies," added Nsiala, who runs the Red Cross in Mbanza-Ngungu territory southwest of Kinshasa.

The bus, laden with people and goods, was travelling from Lufu to Kinshasa when its brakes failed and the driver lost control, Didier Nsimba, deputy administrator of Mbanza-Ngungu territory, told AFP.

The accident happened at about 1 am, he added.

President Felix Tshisekedi sent his condolences to the bereaved families and decided to scrap plans to attend the enthronement of Japan's Emperor Naruhito on Tuesday, his office said in a statement

He asked officials to "take care of the wounded and ensure a dignified burial for the deceased," the president's chief of staff Vital Kamerhe said in the statement.

An injured passenger who gave her name only as Nacha said more than 100 people had been in the vehicle. Many bodies were burned beyond recognition, she added.

Mbanza-Ngungu is located about 150 kilometres (90 miles) from Kinshasa on Highway 1, a road notorious for deadly accidents.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.