Last Update 17:48
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Opposition says Mauritania leader 'incapable,' must resign

Mauritania's opposition says President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz isn't capable of leading nation and must relinquish political authority

AFP , Monday 26 Nov 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1015

Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz returned home on Saturday after 40 days recuperating in France following an October 13 shooting, prompting opposition protests against a power vacuum in his absence.

"We maintain that the head of State is incompetent and his regime must get out" said Saleh Ould Henenna of the coalition Coordination of Democratic Opposition (COD) at a press conference.

"The coming days will prove that Abdel Aziz is physically incapable just as he has always been politically, to lead the country and that his return will only complicate the chances for a solution to the country's crisis."

The country's opposition has long demanded that Aziz step down, and began regular protests against his regime since May. The opposition accuses the former general of having failed to respect commitments made in the Dakar accords that led to his election in 2009, a year after he seized power in a coup d'etat.

The president's mandate expires in 2014.

In an interview with French International Radio (RFI) and Le Monde newspaper on Saturday he said he still has a comfortable majority in parliament to govern. "The opposition must know that to get to power, you have to go through the ballot box and without the ballot box you can't demand anything."

"I am not in the same shape as I was before the accident, but I still have all my mental and physical faculties and it is me who is leading the country."

Abdel Aziz said that if legislative polls, postponed in 2011 and now planned before the end of the year, showed a turnaround in his support, "we are ready to make the necessary gestures for the country." The 55-year-old president received a warm welcome home from thousands of supporters who lined the streets to greet him.

Abdel Aziz had been travelling in an unmarked vehicle when he came across a mobile army checkpoint outside the capital. His failure to stop led Lieutenant Elhaj Ould H'Moudy, who was dressed in plainclothes, to open fire.

H'Moudy has said it was a mistake, and has not been punished, with government accepting the shooting was an accident. The opposition has demanded further investigation.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.