Last Update 22:21
Wednesday, 12 August 2020

Libyan president says he survived attack

Libyan President Mohammed Al-Megarif says he survived an assassination attempt and tells state TV that he was 'unharmed'

AP , Monday 7 Jan 2013
Libya
Libya's new interim president Mohammed el-Megarif, centre, visits the US Consulate to express sympathy for the death of the American ambassador, Chris Stevens and his colleagues in the deadly attack earlier in the week in Benghazi, Libya (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1219
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1219

Libya's interim president says he has survived an assassination attempt in an oasis city in the country's southern deserts.

Mohammed al-Megarif, who is also head of parliament, told state TV late Sunday that he was unharmed in the attack.

He says unidentified assailants opened fire on the hotel where he was staying in Sabha overnight on Saturday.

He says that three of his bodyguards were wounded in clashes that lasted nearly three hours until dawn.

The attack comes less than a month after parliament declared the south a restricted military zone and closed its borders with neighboring African states to curb illegal migrants and the smuggling of weapons

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.