Last Update 23:53
Thursday, 12 December 2019

Egypt denies rockets fired at Eilat came from Sinai

Egypt's armed forces denies that rockets fired at the Israeli city of Eilat were fired from Egyptian territory

Ahmed Eleiba, Wednesday 17 Apr 2013
Eilat
Israeli security investigates the scene of a rocket attack in Eilat, Israel, Wednesday, April 17, 2013 (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2111
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2111

Major General Alaa Ezzedine, head of Egypt's Strategic Centre of the Armed Forces, denied that rockets had been fired from Egypt's Sinai Peninsula into the Israeli Red Sea resort of Eilat.  

Ezzedine said that Israel was responsible for determining the location from which the rockets were fired, arguing that such an incident proved the "failure" of Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile system, recently deployed around Eilat, which did not intercept the rockets.

He told Ahram Online that the Egyptian armed forces were currently working on a strict plan aimed at stopping "law breakers" located Sinai.  

"The plan includes intensifying the movements of military patrols in sites which jihadists have taken advantage of in the past, along with providing more weapons for the existing ambushes," Ezzedine said.

"Egypt owns the capabilities required for knowing who fired the rockets and from which point; based on our radar systems, we confirm that no rockets were launched from inside Egyptian territory."

Ezzedine referred to the "well-established" relationship that the armed forces enjoys with the heads of local tribes, who are currently keen on assisting the military by "drying up the sources" of jihadist operations in Sinai through the demolition of tunnels into the neighbouring Gaza Strip. 

Moreover, Ezzedine denied any linkages between the Eilat attacks and the recent explosions in the US city of Boston.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.