Last Update 0:5
Wednesday, 16 October 2019

Yemen talks could be delayed up to 3 months: FM

Reconciliation talks between North and South Yemen are undermined as southern leader continues to boycott negotiations

AFP , Wednesday 2 Oct 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 745
Share/Bookmark
Views: 745

Yemen's reconciliation talks, which have stumbled over the future form of the state, could be delayed for up to three months, the foreign minister said in Al-Hayat newspaper on Wednesday.

The national dialogue, which was due to end on 18 September, could be delayed by "one, two or three months, but not more," the pan-Arab daily quoted Abubaker al-Qirbi as saying.

The southern question has been a major stumbling-block for the talks launched in March, with hardline factions of the Southern Movement demanding secession and boycotting the talks.

The dialogue is aimed at drawing up a new constitution for Yemen and preparing for elections in February.

After the former North and South Yemen united in 1990, the south broke away in 1994, triggering a brief civil war that ended with the region being overrun by northern troops.

Qirbi criticised "the very negative attitude" of former South Yemen's exiled hardline president, Ali Salem al-Baid, accusing him of receiving backing from Iran and Lebanon's Shia Hezbollah movement to boycott the talks.

"He lives in Beirut under Hezbollah's protection," said Qirbi.

A UN Security Council statement has accused Baid of impeding Yemen's political transition, which is sponsored by the United Nations and was mediated by Saudi Arabia.

In addition to the dialogue, the country is also facing an Al-Qaeda threat "which is still present (in Yemen) and presents a danger, even though security services have succeeded in weakening it," said Qirbi.

"Unfortunately, the ransoms that were paid to release hostages seized by the network have provided it with the money needed to renew its activity," he said in Al-Hayat.

In June 2012, the army recaptured large swathes of southern Yemen that Al-Qaeda had held for nearly a year.

Since then, the extremist group has launched mainly hit-and-run attacks, with its members under the constant threat of monitoring and missile attack from unmanned US aircraft.

The network has captured several foreigners, including diplomats it is still holding.

Qirbi reiterated that drone "strikes targeting terrorist militants in Yemen are carried out in coordination with the defence ministry, security services, and the United States, with Yemeni consent."

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.