Last Update 18:58
Monday, 22 July 2019

Sharon died without facing justice: HRW

Former Israeli PM Ariel Sharon died before facing justice for his role in the Sabra and Shatilla massacres and the illegal expansion of settlements, says Human Rights Watch

Ahram Online, Sunday 12 Jan 2014
Sharon
Palestinians burn crossed-out posters depicting late former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon as they celebrate his passing in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip January 11, 2014 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1284
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1284

Human Rights Watch issued a statement on Saturday saying late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had escaped accountability for crimes committed against Palestinians.

Sharon was announced dead earlier on Saturday after eight years in a coma.

"Ariel Sharon died without facing justice for his role in the massacres of hundreds and perhaps thousands of civilians by Lebanese militias in the Sabra and Shatilla refugee camps in Lebanon in 1982.

"Sharon, as Israel’s defense minister in 1982, had overall responsibility for the Israel Defense Forces, which controlled the area of the Sabra and Shatilla camps. An Israeli commission of inquiry found that he bore “personal responsibility” for the massacre and that he decided Phalangist militias “should be sent in” to the camps from September 16 to 18, despite the risk that they would massacre the civilian population there," read the statement.

The massacre took the lives of over 3,000 Palestinians.

According to HRW, in February 1982 the Kahan Commission, Israel’s official commission of inquiry investigating the events, found that the “serious consideration… that the Phalangists were liable to commit atrocities… did not concern [Sharon] in the least.” Sharon’s “disregard of the danger of a massacre” was “impossible to justify,” the commission found, and recommended his dismissal as defence minister.

He remained in the Israeli cabinet as a minister without portfolio and later became prime minister in 2001, serving until his stroke in January 2006.

In 2001, survivors of the massacre brought a case in Belgium requesting that Sharon be prosecuted under Belgium’s “universal jurisdiction” law.

The law was amended in 2003 amid political pressure, leading Belgium’s highest court to drop the case against Sharon.

“It’s a shame that Sharon has gone to his grave without facing justice for his role in Sabra and Shatilla and other abuses,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “His passing is another grim reminder that years of virtual impunity for rights abuses have done nothing to bring Israeli-Palestinian peace any closer.” 

The statement further condemned Sharon not being held responsible over his role in expanding settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, stressing that this is "prosecutable as a war crime."

While in 2005 he ordered Israel's withdrawal of nearly 8,000 settlers from the Gaza Strip and the evacuation of four West Bank settlements, during his term as prime minister, the number of Israeli settlers in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Golan Heights, increased from roughly 388,000 to 461,000.

"The transfer by an occupying power of its civilians into an occupied territory is a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions, and a potential war crime," said HRW.

Sharon also approved the building of the notorious separation wall in 2002, subjecting thousands of "Palestinians who live in areas of the West Bank between the barrier and the 1967 armistice line (the “Green Line”) to severe, discriminatory restrictions on their freedom of movement, with devastating economic and social consequences."

The statement further estimated the number of Palestinian civilians killed at the hands of Israeli forces during his term of office at more than 1,430 while 640 Israeli civilians were killed by Palestinians.

HRW added that hundreds of homes in both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip were unlawfully demolished under his rule.

“For the thousands of victims of abuses, Sharon’s passing without facing justice magnifies their tragedy,” Whitson said. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
2



Israeli
12-01-2014 02:11pm
3-
3+
Bad Journalism
That is what you have to say? What about his victory in the 1973 war when he crossed the Suez Canal and was 101 km from Cairo encircled Egypt's 5th army? Your journalism is biased .I am sure that you are not with courage to publish my comment
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



ful
12-01-2014 12:40pm
2-
0+
history
even if it is true is an egyptian matter ? And after 32 years have sense tho persecute the supposed executor ?
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Israeli
13-01-2014 10:13pm
0-
0+
History
On war crimes there is no statute of limitation that is why even today Nazis war criminals can be prosecuted.HRW is ignoring the fact that the massacre was investigated by an indepndent comitee of inquiry that did not decide that Sharon is guilty and should be prosecuted.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.