Last Update 20:12
Saturday, 14 December 2019

Suspect in Boko Haram Nigeria attack 'arrested in Sudan'

AFP , Thursday 15 May 2014
Share/Bookmark
Views: 849
Share/Bookmark
Views: 849

A suspect wanted for the deadliest-ever attack in Nigeria's capital -- a blast blamed on Boko Haram Islamists -- has been arrested in Sudan, a source close to the case said on Thursday.

Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche was detained on Tuesday as he tried to get a visa from the Turkish embassy in central Khartoum, the source told AFP, requesting anonymity.

"There wasn't any resistance" to the arrest, said the source, who added that the suspect was still in Sudan on Thursday.

Seventy-one people died and 124 were wounded in the April 15 bomb blast at a packed Abuja bus station.

President Goodluck Jonathan blamed Boko Haram, much of whose previous violence had been in the country's northeast.

Nigerian officials earlier said Ogwuche was the subject of a "Red Notice" from Interpol. Red Notices are typically issued for wanted persons with a view to their extradition.

Ogwuche arrived in Khartoum late last year to study Arabic at the International University of Africa, but visited Nigeria earlier this year, the source added.

Boko Haram is currently holding hostage more than 200 schoolgirls that it kidnapped, an act that has sparked global outrage.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.