Last Update 16:7
Tuesday, 23 April 2019

Somali Shebab say 18 dead in attack on government troops

AFP , Saturday 9 Aug 2014
Share/Bookmark
Views: 663
Share/Bookmark
Views: 663

Somalia's hardline Islamists reported heavy fighting Saturday in battles against government and African Union troops in the central Hiran region.

Shebab spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab told AFP at least 18 were killed and several others wounded after the group's fighters attacked a base of the AU force in Buloburde town, some 200 kilometres (125 miles) north of the capital Mogadishu,

The casualties could not be immediately confirmed, but the Al-Qaeda-linked extremists said the dead included five of their own men.

"Nine soldiers with the African Union, four of their Somali counterparts, and five mujahedeen from our Shebab were killed in the fight," Musab said.

Fighting begin around midnight Friday, lasting for about four hours into Saturday morning, he said.

"Our fighters went into the camp, that is where the killing took place," Musab added.

Troops from the 22,000-strong AU force captured Buloburde from the Shebab earlier in the year, but the Islamists control large parts of the rural area surrounding the town.

The Shebab continue to launch attacks in the heart of the capital Mogadishu -- including recent brazen commando raids on the presidential palace and parliament -- in a bid to topple the internationally-backed government.

The latest fighting comes amid growing warnings of a humanitarian crisis in the war-torn country, three years after more than 250,000 people, half of them children, died in a devastating famine.

The United Nations has warned Somalia is sliding back into an acute hunger crisis, with over 350,000 people in Mogadishu in need of food aid, with parts of the city facing emergency levels just short of famine.

The hardline Shebab, which once controlled most of southern and central Somalia, has been driven out of positions in Mogadishu and Somalia's major towns by the AU force.

The UN-mandated force is widely expected to launch a fresh push in coming weeks to seize the last few major settlements still in Shebab hands in southern Somalia, especially the port of Barawe.

Also on Saturday, Somalia's government said that a journalist accused of killing colleagues and working for the Shebab has been arrested in Kenya, and would be extradited to Mogadishu.

A series of journalists have been killed in recent years in Somalia, one of the most dangerous countries in the world to work as a reporter.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.