Last Update 11:37
Tuesday, 19 November 2019

Kerry says Canadian parliament attack clearly terrorist act

Reuters , Tuesday 28 Oct 2014
Kerry
Secretary of State John Kerry and Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird arrive at the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, Canada, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2014 (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 387
Share/Bookmark
Views: 387

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday that an attack on the Canadian parliament and the country's National War Memorial last week in which a soldier was killed was clearly a terrorist act.

"Clearly, anybody who walks up in a premeditated way with a loaded rifle and attacks someone in uniform then purposely goes to a parliament, is committing, by common sense standards, a terrorist act," Kerry told a news briefing after talks in Ottawa with his Canadian counterpart, Foreign Minister John Baird.

Two days before the attack in Ottawa on Oct. 22, a car driven by a man described by police as a homegrown radical ran down two soldiers, killing one in Quebec.

Since then Canadians have debated whether the attackers were motivated by Islamist ideology and a desire to sow terror or whether they were merely mentally unstable and marginalized individuals.

Baird echoed the Canadian government's view that whatever the mental state of the attackers, their acts were terrorism.

Kerry came to Ottawa on his first visit to Canada since becoming secretary of state last year to show solidarity and discuss security issues following the attacks.

Kerry also said Canada and the United States would work to intensify their close security ties, including border security and intelligence sharing.

"Canada and the United States are now in discussions, not with any sense that things weren't done or that there was some information that we didn't somehow share or have, but rather with a view to making certain that every possible stone is turned over and every possible policy is reviewed, because our obligation obviously is to protect our citizens," he said.

Kerry said he was confident that in the coming days and months the two countries would come up with "some tweaks, some changes, some additions that will promote even greater security than we have today."

The United States and Canada share the world's largest undefended border and for decades have also exchanged information about people deemed to be high risk.

However, a Canadian official said on Saturday that Canada did not share some intelligence with the United States about the two men who carried out the attacks last week because of a 2013 court ruling limiting the transfer of personal data.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.