British-Egyptians call on UK government to ban Muslim Brotherhood
Delegation of prominent British-Egyptians deliver petition to 10 Downing Street calling for a ban on the Muslim Brotherhood
Marwan Sultan in London
, Thursday 12 Mar 2015
Egyptians hold a banner in front of the Qatari embassy in London (Photo: Amer Sultan)
The UK government must proscribe the Muslim Brotherhood immediately and ban its activities on British soil, a delegation of British-Egyptians has said.
They say the Brotherhood, which was declared a terrorist group in Egypt in December 2013, has “committed crimes against humanity.”
The delegation, which included Muslim and Christian professionals, businessmen and representatives from civil society organisations, delivered a petition to the UK government calling for action “before girls are killed in British schools.”
“Terror knows no borders, and the Muslim Brotherhood and its spin-offs know no mercy, their lust for power, quest for theocracy and desire for domination, make them all blood thirsty, and they will stop at nothing until they bring down civilization – West and East alike,” the petition said.
In April last year, British Prime Minister David Cameron commissioned a review into the group, including its activities in the UK.
Although the review team, led by Sir John Jenkins, the UK's ambassador to Saudi Arabia, finished its work in July, the government has not released its conclusions.
According to the commissioning letter, Jenkins’ team conducted “an internal government review into the philosophy and activities of the Muslim Brotherhood and the government's policy towards the organisation."
The Brotherhood, which has repeatedly denied any involvement in terror activities, submitted evidence to the review.
The petition warned the UK government it should move against the group as soon as possible.
“Soon enough we will see its devilish siblings such as ISIL (Islamic State in Iraq and Levant), Boko Haram (the militant Islamist group in Nigeria) enslaving and killing our young girls in the schools of London and globally,” the petition said.
“The atrocities in Iraq and Syria are not to be separated from the evils dispensed in France, Australia, and Canada, nor can it be detached from the hatred poured all over Egypt since Mohamed Morsi was ousted from power in the June Revolution,” it added.
The petition blamed the group for terror attacks all over the world.
Ahram Online understands that 10 Downing Street, the headquarters of the UK government, has referred the petition to the UK Home Office to decide on the possibility of publishing it on the government’s e-petition website for the public to sign. However, a Home Office spokeswoman told Ahram Online they are not aware of the petition.
Dr Shenouda Shalaby, one of the petition authors, strongly criticised “Qatar’s support for the Brotherhood and terrorism.”
The petition comes days after tens of British-Egyptians organised a protest in front of the Qatari embassy in London.
The protesters accused the Qatari government of supporting Islamic State militants who in mid-February beheaded 21 Egyptian Christians in Libya.