Last Update 23:21
Saturday, 19 January 2019

Police were warned about London suspect: Brother

AFP , Tuesday 8 Dec 2015
Views: 667
Views: 667

The family of a man charged with attempted murder after a stabbing at London Underground train station in a suspected terror attack had earlier called the authorities to warn them of his erratic behaviour, his brother said.

Mohamed Mire said that his brother Muhaydin, who appeared in court Monday, suffered from paranoia and hallucinations made worse by drug use, but that he was judged as no threat to the public.

"Drugs influenced him, just cannabis," he told Channel 4 News.

"It gave him mental problem. He was diagnosed by doctors and treated in 2007 for paranoia. He was in hospital for three months in 2007."

After recovering from that bout, the suspect went on to work for taxi firm Uber but "then he got back into the same thing and went a bit crazy," said the brother.

"That started in August of this year. He started calling me up and saying odd things.

"Not radical, it's a bit like jumping around talking nonsense and sort of like talking saying he's seeing demons and stuff, people following him.

"We tried to call the local authority, they could not help him because they said he's no harm to people and he's no harm to himself.

"I talked to the police and they came and looked at him and that was 22 October."

Muhaydin Mire, 29, from east London, is accused of attempting to murder a 56-year-old man at Leytonstone station on Saturday night, shortly after he and his family had agreed for him to leave Britain.

"I decided to book a ticket for him on this Sunday. He was okay as far as I know," said the brother. "He wanted to go."

During Monday's brief hearing, Mire spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address and was remanded in custody until Friday when he will again appear at the Old Bailey in London.

Prosecutors allege that Mire punched his victim to the ground and repeatedly kicked him before taking hold of the victim's head and cutting a 12-centimetre wound in his neck.

The victim, referred to in court as Male A, was in surgery for five hours after the attack, the prosecution said.

Prosecutors also allege that images and flags associated with Islamic State jihadists were subsequently found on Mire's mobile phone.


Short link:


Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.

© 2010 Ahram Online.