Last Update 21:29
Thursday, 14 November 2019

No charges in Cleveland police shooting of 12-year-old boy: Ohio prosecutor

AFP , Monday 28 Dec 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 929
Share/Bookmark
Views: 929

A grand jury in the US state of Ohio has declined to bring criminal charges against police officers involved in the fatal shooting last year of a 12-year-old boy in Cleveland, a prosecutor said Monday.

The November 2014 death of Tamir Rice -- who had been carrying a replica gun in a playground when he was shot dead -- and the fatal shooting of other African Americans by police triggered protests across the country.

"Based on the evidence they heard and the law as it applies to police use of deadly force, the grand jury declined to bring criminal charges," against the two officers involved, including the one who shot Rice, Tim McGinty, the prosecutor for Cuyahoga County, Ohio, told reporters.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.