Last Update 16:18
Tuesday, 17 September 2019

Islamists behead two hostages in the Philippines

AFP , Wednesday 13 Apr 2016
Philippine
File Photo: Soldiers stand guard on a road as they are deployed to remote villages in Jolo, Sulu southern Philippines October 17, 2014 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3953
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3953

Philippine militants that want to ally with Islamic State group militants (IS) have beheaded two local hostages, police said Wednesday.

Police on the southern island of Mindanao recovered the decapitated corpses of the two men on Tuesday, nine days after they were taken, said the police chief of Lanao del Sur province.

"Salvador Hanobas and Jemark Hanobas were beheaded by their abductors," Senior Superintendent Rustom Duran told reporters by telephone. "Locals brought the heads and the torsos to the mayor's office."

It was unclear if the two victims were related.

Duran said the kidnappers belonged to an Islamic militant group that battled government forces for a week in February, leaving three soldiers dead and forcing 20,000 people to flee their homes.

Police found black flags identical to those flown by Islamic State jihadists in Iraq and Syria in the fighters' hideout in the remote Mindanao town of Butig.

Duran said the group had also abducted six workers at a local sawmill on April 4, accusing them of being military informers. Four were freed unharmed on Monday.

A Muslim separatist insurgency has raged for more than four decades in the southern Philippines, leaving more than 120,000 people dead.

Efforts to secure a peace deal with the largest rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), collapsed after parliament failed to pass a law to create an autonomous Muslim region in Mindanao.

MILF leaders have warned the collapse of the peace deal could embolden hardline militants who want to resume a violent separatist uprising.

News of the beheadings came after the Abu Sayyaf, another Islamic militant group, released a retired Italian priest held hostage for six months last week.

A major firefight broke out afterwards on the remote southern island of Basilan on Friday, leaving 18 soldiers and more than two dozen Abu Sayyaf gunmen dead.

The military said skirmishes were still continuing with Abu Sayyaf fighters on Wednesday, and the toll of dead rebels had risen to 28.

Among those killed were a Moroccan bomb expert called Mohammad Khattab, who the military said had been sent to build ties between local Muslim rebel groups and an international jihadist network.

"Khattab planned to speak to all of them to unite and link them to the entire international terrorist network," military spokesman Brigadier-General Restituto Padilla told reporters.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.