Last Update 11:23
Monday, 23 September 2019

Belgian minister claims many Muslims 'danced' after attacks

AFP , Saturday 16 Apr 2016
Brussels Attacks
People react as they walk away from Brussels airport after explosions rocked the facility in Brussels, Belgium Tuesday March 22, 2016 (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 8968
Share/Bookmark
Views: 8968

Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon said Saturday that a "significant" part of the Muslim population "celebrated attacks", blaming the country's policies for failing to integrate migrants into society.

He did not explicitly refer to last month's militant attacks on Brussels' airport and metro system that killed 32 people

"A significant section of the Muslim community danced when attacks took place," Jambon said in an interview with the Flemish-language De Standaard newspaper.

The Belgian minister also accused Muslim residents of Brussels' largely immigrant Molenbeek neighbourhood of attacking police during an operation last month to arrest a suspect in connection with the deadly attacks in Paris last November.

"They threw stones and bottles at police and press during the arrest of Salah Abdeslam. This is the real problem. Terrorists we can pick up, remove from society. But they are just a boil. Underneath is a cancer that is much more difficult to treat. We can do it, but it won't be overnight," he said.

Jambon, whose New Flemish Alliance party has been a key part of Belgium's ruling centre-right coalition since 2014, previously offered to resign in the wake of the Brussels attacks.

In Saturday's interview he said that the danger linked to the radicalisation of youth from third and fourth generation families is "too deeply rooted" in some areas because Belgium "have for many years ignored the warning signs".

Following the November 13 attacks in neighbouring France, Jambon sparked controversy when he promised to "clean Molenbeek" when it emerged that several of the attackers had links to the impoverished district of the Belgian capital.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
4



SHT
20-04-2016 01:45pm
0-
0+
save her skin
if this was really why no one took the pictures and posted in social media.She failed in her work,being a interior minister she had no intelligence report and to divert the blame and criticizum of her made this story
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
3



MSM
18-04-2016 06:02pm
3-
1+
Rubbish
Minister's statement does not make sense. It's another anti Muslim propoganda. All rubbish.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



aladin
18-04-2016 05:41pm
0-
3+
Deception
Europe used to think Jews were evil
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Al
17-04-2016 06:26am
3-
5+
Trump is looking for a VP!
"A significant section of the Muslim community danced when attacks took place," Jambon said in an interview
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.