Last Update 0:15
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

Travel hardships for London commuters as union begins 5-day strike

Reuters , Monday 8 Aug 2016
RMT
File Photo: Commuters ride a double decker bus through Oxford Circus shortly before the start of a 24 hour strike in London, Britain August 5, 2015. (Photo:Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1080
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1080

Hundreds of thousands of train commuters in London and southern England were facing misery on Monday as rail staff began a five-day strike in a row over who opens and closes the doors.

Southern, which runs trains from destinations such as Brighton and Gatwick Airport, has said only 60 percent of its services would operate during the week-long stoppage, the longest British rail walkout for almost 50 years, and no trains would operate at all on some routes.

The latest disruption provides further disruption for wearied passengers who have suffered months of cancellations and delays because of high levels of staff sickness while in July Southern axed 341 trains, about 15 percent, to provide what it said would be a more regular service.

The dispute centres on the role of conductors, staff who current have responsibility for opening and closing the train doors. The RMT union, one of Britain's most militant, says Southern want to extend the use of driver-only operated trains and so reduce the safety role the conductors provide.

Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR), Britain's largest train operator which owns Southern, says the changes would lead to fewer train cancellations as services would no longer require both drivers and conductors.

"Our fight is with the company and the government who have dragged this franchise into total meltdown," said RMT General Secretary Mick Cash. "We share the anger and frustration of passengers and we cannot sit back while jobs and safety are compromised on these dangerously overcrowded trains."

During mediation talks last week, the union said it had offered to call off the strike if GTR had promised there would be a second staff member on trains while negotiations continued.

However, the talks failed as GTR said in times of disruption, there might be occasions when they would let trains run with just a driver.

The company's Chief Executive Charles Horton said their planned changes would improve services for passengers and had provided guarantees about the future role of conductors but the RMT had refused to negotiate.

"The RMT union is letting everyone down and the action they are taking this week is unnecessary, unacceptable and unjustified," he told BBC radio. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.