Last Update 17:21
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack

AFP , Friday 26 Aug 2016
Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack
The wreckage of a car bomb outside a beach restaurant in Mogadishu after an attack by alleged Al-Qaeda-linked Shabaab rebels (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1483
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1483

Seven people were killed in an attack by Shabaab militants on a popular beachfront restaurant in the Somali capital Mogadishu, city authorities said on Friday.

"Nine people including two Shabaab gunmen were killed in the attack" on Thursday, Mogadishu city spokesman Abdifatah Halane told AFP.

Al-Qaeda linked Shabaab militants attacked the Banadir Beach Restaurant close to the city's Lido Beach, setting off a car bomb before exchanging fire with security forces.

The assailants also threw grenades at the security services who cordoned off the area. One man with a head wound was detained by the authorities which accused him of being the bomber.

The restaurant is popular with young people and government officials. Around 20 people managed to escape from the restaurant during the gunfight.

The Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement distributed via the Telegram messaging service, claiming to have killed "scores" of people.

It said the restaurant was targeted because it was frequented by "apostates" indulging in "obscenity and vice".

The Shabaab is fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu, seeking to impose an austere Islamic rule on the country.

By Friday morning officials said the attackers had been killed.

All the "attackers have been gunned down and the restaurant is now under the full command of the Somali government soldiers," regional police commander Colonel Abshir Bishaar told the Somali National News Agency.

"The terrorist attack killed nine persons, five of them were civilians, two security forces and the other two were the militants who carried out the attack," Bishaar said, adding that two other civilians were injured.

It is the second time this year the group has attacked the Lido beach area and its many eateries, including upmarket establishments popular with business people and diaspora Somalis who have returned home to the city.

In late January, Shabaab gunmen detonated a bomb before bursting into the Lido Sea Food Restaurant and spraying gunfire at terrified customers, killing 20 people.

The group is expected to try to violently disrupt elections due to be held in September and October.

Despite abandoning the capital five years ago, Shabaab still launches regular attacks against government, military, civilian and foreign targets.

The militants have also staged repeated attacks in neighbouring Kenya and a recent security analysis warned that the group was expanding its horizons with cells active in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda as well as Somalia.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.