Last Update 12:42
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

French Muslim women accused of terrorism by restaurateur complain

AFP , Monday 29 Aug 2016
Paris
File photo: A young Muslim girl has two French flags and a headband reading “Fraternity” on her headscarf while marching to protest a French ban on religious symbols in state schools, Paris, January 31, 2004. (REUTERS)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2148
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2148

Two veiled women who were told by a French restaurateur that all Muslims are terrorists then forced to leave the restaurant complained to authorities Monday, an anti-Islamophobia campaign group said.

The Collective against Islamophobia in France (CCIF), which is supporting the women, said that the incident represented a "racist shift" in French society as prosecutors opened an investigation into possible "religious discrimination".

The encounter at Le Cenacle restaurant in Tremblay-en-France outside Paris was filmed by one of the two women and posted online and shows the other saying: "We don't want to be served by racists."

The man in the smartphone clip responds that "racists like me don't plant bombs and don't kill people". He added that "terrorists are Muslim and all Muslims are terrorists. I don't want people like you in my place. Now you know it you can get out".

The restaurateur later apologised to the "entire Muslim community" for his actions as calls to boycott his establishment flooded social media sites alongside negative reviews.

The CCIF said in a statement that it intends to pursue a civil claim against the man and would press for "exemplary damages" to end the "impunity of Islamophobic violence and discrimination".

It also accused the government and France's political class of being responsible for creating a climate in which such incidents can occur.

The row comes as a debate about the wearing of the burkini reached fever pitch.

Around 30 towns have banned the burkini from their beaches, with some mayors linking the bans to the massacre of 84 people in the southern French town of Nice last month.

It was on Nice's famous seafront promenade that a jihadist ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a massive crowd celebrating Bastille Day on July 14, killing the 84 and wounding more than 400 other people.

Sone town mayors have vowed to maintain their burkini ban despite a ruling by France's highest administrative court that the prohibitions are unconstitutional.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.