Last Update 21:45
Wednesday, 13 December 2017

France's Fillon 'very likely' wiretapped, ally says

Reuters , Sunday 26 Mar 2017
Francois Fillon
Francois Fillon, former French Prime Minister, member of the Republicans political party and 2017 presidential election candidate of the French centre-right reacts during a meeting with supporters few hours before a campaign rally in Biarritz, in Anglet, France, March 24, 2017. (REUTERS)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 819
Share/Bookmark
Views: 819

It is "extremely likely" that French conservative presidential candidate Francois Fillon has been the subject of wiretapping in the course of a judicial investigation, a campaign aide said on Sunday, in the latest accusations to be made by the Fillon camp against the authorities.

Fillon, a former front-runner who is now lagging in polls following a financial scandal, had earlier this week accused Socialist President Francois Hollande of orchestrating a plot against him.

In comments reminiscent of U.S. President Donald Trump's accusations against former president Barack Obama, Fillon and his team are now raising allegations of wiretapping.

"It's extremely likely," lawmaker Eric Ciotti, a close campaign aide, told Europe 1 radio and CNEWS television in an interview on Sunday, asked about reports that Fillon himself on Saturday said he was likely to have been wiretapped in the course of the probe into accusations of misuse of public funds.

"It wouldn't be illegal but that would, once more, be a democratic scandal," Ciotti said.

As with other accusations made by the Fillon camp in recent weeks, the wiretapping comments triggered some criticism.

"I don't believe at all that there is any orchestrated operation there," centrist Francois Bayrou, an ally of poll frontrunner Emmanuel Macron said.

"Conspiracy theories ... keep one from looking at one's own responsibilities," he said of Fillon.

Fillon, the 63-year-old former prime minister, had looked sure of winning the presidency after he won the candidate-selection contest in his Republicans party last November.

But he has fallen to third place - meaning he faces first-round elimination on April 23 - since media revelations prompted magistrates to open an inquiry into allegations that he paid his wife and children hundreds of thousands of euros of public money for work as parliamentary assistants they may not have done. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.