Last Update 21:43
Monday, 18 November 2019

Government says 1 dead, 37 missing in south China landslide

AP , Monday 28 Aug 2017
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1618
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1618

A local government in southern China says 1 person has died and 37 are missing following a landslide that buried dozens of homes.

The Guizhou provincial government said on its microblog that Monday's disaster brought the side of a mountain crashing down on the homes of 34 families on the outskirts of the city of Bijie at around midday.

It said rescue teams had been dispatched along with tents, blankets and other emergency supplies.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the disaster, although southern China has been battered in recent days by a pair of typhoons bringing heavy rain that can saturate soil and leave it prone to slipping away on steep angles.

Mountainous Guizhou is one of China's poorest provinces.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.