Last Update 22:26
Tuesday, 19 June 2018

Malian soldiers killed in French strike had joined Islamists.

Reuters , Tuesday 7 Nov 2017
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1240
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1240

Malian soldiers killed by a French military strike in northern Mali last month were deserters who had joined an Islamist militant group, a French source close to the matter said on Tuesday.

That contradicted comments from the Malian Defence Ministry, which said on Monday that the soldiers killed in the Oct. 23 strike, a raid on a camp of the Ansar Dine militant group, had been its hostages.

The French source said the raid was carried "on the basis of detailed intelligence against a camp that included Malians who had joined the Islamist ranks. They were hit, amongst others."

"They were not prisoners," the source told Reuters, declining to say how many were killed or captured in the raid.

The source accused Malian authorities of spreading propaganda in the run-up to presidential elections, which are scheduled for November 2018.

A French defence ministry source added: "We have a real trust problem with the Malians."

Malian officials were not immediately available for comment.

The French army previously said that 15 members of Ansar Dine, which is loosely affiliated to other militant groups operating in northern Mali, were taken "out of action" in the raid.

The Malian government is struggling to contain Tuareg and Islamist violence in the country's north, some of which is spreading south. Attempts to place officials in northern towns have sometimes failed, raising questions about the government's ability to maintain stability ahead of the elections.

Islamist militants seized northern Mali in 2012 and French forces intervened a year later.

Around 4,000 of its troops remain in West Africa's Sahel region as part of Operation Barkhane, a cross-border anti-terrorism operation.

France has also been at the forefront of organising a regional force as part of efforts to find a long-term strategy to exit the region.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.