Last Update 22:7
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Two suicide bombers kill four in north Nigeria mosque

AFP , Sunday 22 Apr 2018
Nigeria Mosque Attack
Graphic content: People unload from a truck to a morgue the bodies of victims in Bama, Borno State, northeastern Nigeria, on April 22, 2018, following twin suicide blasts inside of a mosque. (SOURCE: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2311
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2311

Two suicide bombers killed four Muslim worshippers in a mosque in a northeast Nigerian town still being rebuilt after virtual destruction by Boko Haram in 2014, sources told AFP Sunday.

The bombers, a man and a woman, detonated their explosives inside the mosque during morning prayers on Saturday in the town of Bama in Borno state.

The pair "blew themselves up in a mosque while people were praying" said Baba Shehu Gulumba, Bama local government chairman.

An earlier toll listed three deaths.

"Another victim died at the hospital in Maiduguri," taking the toll to four, Shehu Gulumba later told AFP.

A senior military officer in Bama earlier confirmed that three people had died, adding that nine people were also injured.

"Some of the injured are in a critical condition and may hardly make it. They have been transferred to Maiduguri for better medical care," said the military officer, who asked not to be named.

The attack came two weeks after residents began returning to the town which was destroyed by Boko Haram four years ago.

Bama, a major trading hub on the road to Cameroon and home to 270,000 people, was captured in September 2014, forcing residents to flee to Maiduguri, the state capital.

When it was retaken by the Nigerian military in March 2015, 85 percent of the town had been demolished by the jihadists.

Borno state officials said it would require 40 billion naira (94 million euros, $111 million) to rebuild the town, a staggering amount in the impoverished region.

According to officials 11,000 homes had been rebuilt which residents said represent one-third of those destroyed.

On April 5 the state's information commissioner Mohammed Bulama said 1,200 people had returned to the town in a phased resettlement of the 100,000 displaced residents living in camps in Maiduguri.

Boko Haram has been notorious for suicide attacks on civilian and military targets in response to army offensives that have put pressure on the militant group.

Recent days have seen a lull in such attacks.

However on Friday 10 people including four militia fighting the militants were injured when two female suicide bombers attacked Amarwa village in Konduga district, 38 kilometres from Maiduguri, according to militia sources.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.