Last Update 21:11
Thursday, 19 September 2019

N.Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization has already started': Trump

Reuters , Thursday 21 Jun 2018
Trump
U.S. President Donald Trump discusses immigration policy during a meeting with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 20, 2018 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1754
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1754

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday that North Korea was blowing up four of its big test sites and that a process of "total denuclearization ... has already started taking place" without providing any details.

Speaking at a meeting of his Cabinet at the White House, Trump said: "They’ve stopped the sending of missiles, including ballistic missiles. They’re destroying their engine site. They’re blowing it up. They’ve already blown up one of their big test sites, in fact it’s actually four of their big test sites.

"And the big thing is it will be a total denuclearization, which has already started taking place."

It was not immediately clear which North Korean test sites Trump was referring to.

Asked on Wednesday whether North Korea has done anything toward denuclearization since a landmark summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters:

“No, I'm not aware of that. I mean, obviously, it's the very front end of a process. The detailed negotiations have not begun. I wouldn't expect that at this point.”

Mattis sat next to Trump at Thursday's Cabinet meeting.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Trump's latest remarks.

The U.S.-based North Korea monitoring group 38 North said in an analysis at the end of last week there had been no sign of any activity toward dismantling of any missile test site.

Trump, who has been leading an international drive to press North Korea to abandon development of nuclear missiles capable of reaching the United States, told reporters after the June 12 summit that Kim had pledged to dismantle one of his missile installations.

A U.S. official said on Wednesday that the site Trump referred to then was the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground, a major facility in the western part of the country that has been used for testing engines for long-range missiles.

PRE-SUMMIT ACTIONS

North Korea announced ahead of the Singapore summit the suspension of its ICBM testing and also closed its nuclear bomb test site, where it conducted several explosions in front of visiting media that it said were to destroy testing tunnels. U.S. officials, however, have cautioned that such actions are reversible.

In the Cabinet meeting, Trump acknowledged that "things can change."

"Personalities can change. Maybe you end up with conflict. Maybe you don't," he said, while adding that both he and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had established a "very strong" relationship with Kim that he thought would lead to "tremendous success."

Trump went on to say that the "number-one statement" in the document he and Kim signed in Singapore was "we will immediately begin total denuclearization of North Korea," although there was no such statement in the text.

In the joint statement, Kim "reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," but made no reference to a timeline. Going into the summit, Pyongyang repeatedly rejected unilateral nuclear disarmament.

Pompeo told the same Cabinet meeting Kim had made a personal commitment, and added: "He has got his reputation on the line."

Pompeo said U.S. allies and North Korea's neighbor and ally China were supportive of the U.S. policy of maintaining sanctions on Pyongyang until its denuclearization was complete.

Trump repeated his thanks to Chinese President Xi Jinping for supporting sanctions, although he said that the border between China and North Korea was "getting a little weaker now."

"That's OK. That's OK. But we have to get him to keep it tough," Trump said.

Speaking at the same event, Trump also said the remains of U.S. troops missing from the Korean War were in the process of being returned to the United States from North Korea, correcting a statement he made a day earlier.

Trump said on Wednesday the remains of 200 American servicemen had already been sent back, following on from the agreement he reached with Kim in Singapore.

Two U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that while North Korea was expected to return the remains of soldiers in coming days, they had not yet been returned. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.