Last Update 23:52
Saturday, 20 July 2019

EU sanctions senior Myanmar military over Rohingya abuses

AFP , Monday 25 Jun 2018
Myanmar
A Rohingya refugee is seen in Balukhali refugee camp at dawn near Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh, March 28, 2018 (Photo:Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2145
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2145

The EU on Monday hit seven top Myanmar security officials with sanctions over the Rohingya crisis, accusing them of serious human rights violations including killings and sexual violence.

Some 700,000 members of the beleaguered Muslim minority have fled a military crackdown in the country's northern Rakhine state since August last year, a process the UN and major western powers have said amounts to "ethnic cleansing".

EU foreign ministers meeting in Luxembourg hit five army generals, a border guard commander and a police commander with travel bans and asset freezes for their role in the crisis.

"The individuals subject to sanctions are Myanmar/Burma army (Tatmadaw), border guard and police officials, listed because of their involvement in or association with atrocities and serious human rights violations committed against the Rohingya population in Rakhine State in the second half of 2017," the EU said in a statement.

"These violations include unlawful killings, sexual violence and the systematic burning of Rohingya houses and buildings."

After a period of thawing relations with Myanmar after the country's military junta ceded power in 2011, the Rohingya crisis has seen the EU take a harder line and blacklisting the officials is the toughest step taken so far by Brussels.

Britain, Myanmar's former colonial ruler which has taken the lead in preparing EU sanctions, said Monday's listing would send a signal to military top brass that the world was watching and those responsible for abuses would be held to account.

"These sanctions are a direct response to the appalling violence, including sexual violence, that took place in Rakhine last year. The individuals listed were responsible for units that have been identified as the perpetrators of this violence," junior foreign minister Mark Field said in a statement.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.