Last Update 21:41
Sunday, 21 July 2019

Save the Children UK expects income drop after aid sex abuse scandal

Reuters , Tuesday 10 Jul 2018
save the children
Save the Children representatives walk after a storm at the Chakmarkul refugee camp, in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh June 10, 2018. (Reuters photo)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1473
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1473

Aid agency Save the Children UK said on Monday it expected its income to fall by a sixth - 67 million pounds ($89 million) - this year after it withdrew from state funding amid claims of sexual misconduct by staff following a sector-wide sex scandal.

The humanitarian charity said its decision in April to temporarily stop bidding for funding from Britain's foreign aid department (DFID) would affect its estimated income for the year - 340 million pounds against 407 million pounds in 2017.

Save the Children UK's former chairman said in May it had failed its female staff in its handling of sexual misconduct complaints against senior managers including former chief executive Justin Forsyth and ex-policy chief Brendan Cox.

The aid agency's statement follows Oxfam's announcement last month that it would make cuts to its operations due to a drop in funding after a sex abuse scandal centering on its staff that saw it kicked out of Haiti.

"Save the Children UK is now in the process of assessing the potential impact of this drop in funding for future years," the charity said in a statement.

"The long-term underlying financial health of Save the Children UK is good ... budget plans are driven by a long-term strategy and goals and not by short-term changes to income around specific projects."

Save the Children said it had previously been expecting a drop in income for 2018 of between 10 and 15 percent - before the charity decided to withdraw from bidding for DFID funding.

From Oxfam staff paying for sex in Haiti to Syrian women exploited in return for aid and the harassment of women in the head offices of global charities, the humanitarian sector has this year been rattled by media coverage of sexual wrongdoing.

Charities have since pledged to overhaul their approach to dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment.

DFID minister Penny Mordaunt told a parliamentary inquiry last week there were signs that sexual predators were leaving the aid sector amid heightened vigilance after the sex scandal.

An exclusive survey by the Thomson Reuters Foundation in February found more than 120 staff from leading global charities were fired or lost their jobs in 2017 over sexual misconduct.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.