Last Update 13:54
Monday, 14 October 2019

187 ex-jihadists surrender in Cameroon

Thursday 14 Feb 2019
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1744
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1744

Nearly 200 Cameroonians who were members of Nigeria's Boko Haram jihadist group have returned home and surrendered to the authorities after breaking with the organisation, the government said Thursday.

A total of 187 former jihadists from the district of Mayo-Sava, in Cameroon's Far North province, gave themselves up, many of them returning from Nigeria on foot, provincial governor Midjiyawa Bakari said.

After surrendering to the authorities in the towns of Kolofata and Meme, they were enrolled in a programme to reintegrate them into society, he said.

They were taken on Wednesday to a base of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MMF), an anti-Boko Haram force combining soldiers from Chad, Cameroon, Niger, and Nigeria, he said.

"They don't represent any danger or any risk -- quite the opposite, everything will be put in place for them to resocialise, learn the spirit of patriotism and public duty," Bakari said.

About a thousand former jihadists, including children under 15, had already joined the reinsertion programme.

After being assessed to establish that they have definitively broken with Boko Haram, ex-fighters are taken to Mowoure, also in the Far North, where they are given farmland with which to earn a living.

Boko Haram's nearly 10-year insurgency is epicentred in northeast Nigeria, but spilled over into Niger and Cameroon as well as the Far North province.

It has left more than 27,000 people dead and about 1.8 million others homeless.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.